30.6.08

The summer so far...

For reasons both explained and unexplainable, I will say that this summer is shaping up to be damn good so far.
First off, beyond Obama taking hits from every which way and deflecting them like a pro , the sun is shining with nice rainstorms in between and the giant science project that may or may not create a massive black whole and swallow earth won't be booted up until August. Until then, let's make it a good one.
A big reason so far for such happiness is the folks at Pixar. Wall-E was yet another masterpiece from the guys in California and God Bless 'em. It's been a long time since my heart has been broken this much in a movie and WALL-E is certainly one of the most lovable Characters Disney has released since "Kitty" in Monster's inc. I'm sure you've seen the trailer, but in case you missed it, enjoy.

Some haven't been to convinced by the trailer, but I sware it's amazing. Easily one of Pixar's best (if not the best.) And you'd have to be totally dead inside to not enjoy it a bit. Even my boss, though a lover of all things Pixar wasn't initially impressed, went and saw it. He e-mailed me Friday night with this to say:
Subject: Spoiler Alert
Body: Wall-E possibly the best movie of all time.
So there you are. While I'm not sure I can go that far (that's a pretty big statement) it is that amazing.
Of course, stay tuned 'til July 16th when the Dark Knight finally gets its wide release. This may be one of the best summers for movies in a long time.
On the music front, dance is enjoying a fine moment. A little over a week ago I was watching some TV and saw an ad for Bally's (gym.) It starred the Pussycat Dolls and the song that they sang was from their forthcoming album. It's called "When I grow up" and while I'm usually the last to endorse such pop-blasphemy, it's fucking catchy.
When I Grow Up - Pussycat Dolls
So I thought the battle had been lost - that we had received the best dance/pop song for the summer. Oh, I was wrong.
Last tuesday I was listening to Virgin Radio UK online and came across a little song called "Dance Wiv Me" by Dizzee Rascal feat. Calvin Harris. Holy shit. This song is the shit. I, despite not being a total hip-hop fan immeadiately fell in love with the tune (though probably more thanks to Calivn Harris Future-Disco Funk backdrop.) It's not out in the states just yet, but hopefully you'll be hearing on the radio soon. Enjoy it. Love it. And shake your ass as much as possible to it.
Dance For Me - Dizzee Rascal ft. Calvin Harris
For now, since I should probably try to do some work...I'm singing out. But may the best of pop culture be wiv you.

No comments: